Live Ledge #163: Jason Isbell

As much as I love my little side gig writing for the local paper, it's rare that I get to interview artists that I truly care about. Most of my assignments fall into two categories - has-been classic rockers and pretty boy country hicks. Sometimes they're still interesting, and I do my best with the material they provide me, but I always long to chat to acts that I actually listen to in the privacy of my home.
This week, I had one of those rare opportunities. I've been a fan of Jason Isbell since his days in the Drive-By Truckers, and last year's Southeastern was one of my favorite records of the year. As soon as he was booked to play in our little city on July 29, I let my editor understand that I just had to talk to him.
It almost didn't happen, though, as Isbell was travelling in Canada last week and didn't have cell service. I made some arrangements to get an extension on my story, and he was finally able to squeeze in ten minutes this past Monday. While I'd obviously have liked to chat longer, I was pleased to get even a few minutes of his time.
The article was published on Thursday, along with a full-length version of the Q&A, which you can find here. Tonight's show includes a recording of that conversation, along with a couple of tracks from Southeastern. The rest of the show consists primarily of recently-released great Americana-ish artists, along with some old favorites.
Grab this show from the usual sources, including iTunes and Stitcher, or...

1. Jason Isbell, Super 8  
2. Jason Isbell, Songs That She Sang In The Shower  
3. Drive-By Truckers, The Day John Henry Died  
4. Hard Working Americans, Welfare Music  
5. The Bottle Rockets, Trailer Mama  
6. Uncle Tupelo, I Got Drunk  
7. Whiskeytown, Drank Like A River 
8. The Jayhawks, Big Star 
9. Centro-Matic, Academy of Lunkers  
10. Buddy Miller & Jim Lauderdale, Vampire Girl  
11. Lydia Loveless, Really Wanna See You 
12. Nikki Lane, Sleep With A Stranger 
13. Hurray For The Riff Raff, I Know It's Wrong (But That's Alright)  
14. The Hillbilly Moon Explosion, Motorhead Girl  
15. Lone Justice, Working Man's Blues  
16. Lucinda Williams, Real Live Bleeding Fingers & Broken Guitar Strings 
17. Old 97's, Let's Get Drunk & Get It On 
18. Two cow Garage, The Little Prince and Johnny Toxic 
19. Deer Tick, The Dream's In The Ditch  
20. The Del Lords, When the Drugs Kick In 
21. Supersuckers, Roadworn And Weary 
22. Steve Earle, Creepy Jackalope Eye  
23. Jonny Two Bags, One Foot In The Gutter 
24. The Replacements, Battleship Chains  
25. Jason & The Scorchers, White Lies  
26. Green On Red, No Free Lunch 
27. Hickoids, If Drinkin Don't Kill Me, Kill Me 

Comments

Popular Posts