The Ledge, Episode 55: Debuts

Along with most people, I spent the first day of the new year lying around my house doing nothing but napping. Unlike most people, though, I was consumed with thoughts about my first show of the new year. A new release show? Nah, as not enough material has leaked to fill two hours. Shows devoted to the years 1986, 1981, 1976, or 1971? That's way too much work for the first week of the year.

I ultimately decided on an easy theme for this show - since it's the debut episode for the year, why not a show of nothing but debut releases? Since everybody has a first release, I could do a whole month with this theme. (Hey, that's not a bad idea.) The rules for this show are pretty vague - not everything is truly a first release. Some selections are the first single; others come from the first EP or full-length album. Many tunes are known to be classics; others don't even really hint at future acclaim. It's my show, after all. I can play whatever the hell I want! :)

Now that you know what you're getting into, it's time to listen. Subscribe via iTunes, tune into realpunkradio this Friday at 5 pm central, or directly download it here.

Here's the setlist:


1. Rolling Stones, Come On

2. The Who, Out In the Street

3. The Kinks, Long Tall Shorty

4. Velvet Underground, I'm Waiting For the Man

5. Lou Reed, I Can't Stand It

6. New York Dolls, Personality Crisis

7. The Dead Boys, Sonic Reducer

8. The Batusis, Bury You Alive

9. Patti Smith, Hey Joe

10. Television, See No Evil

11. The Damned, New Rose

12. The Sex Pistols, Anarchy In the UK

13. The Clash, White Riot

14. The Jam, In the City

15. Ramones, I Wanna Be Your Boyfriend

16. The Fleshtones, Girl From Baltimore

17. Suicide Commandos, Attacking the Beat

18. The Suburbs, Cig Machine

19. Replacements, I'm In Trouble

20. Replacements, If Only You Were Lonely

21. Husker Du, Statues

22. Soul Asylum, Draggin' Me Down

23. X, We're Desperate

24. The Pixies, Ed Is Dead

25. Chunk, What Do I

26. Pavement, Box Elder

27. Uncle Tupelo, Graveyard Shift

28. Whiskeytown, Drank Like a River

29. Long Ryders, 10-5-60

30. Jason and the Scorchers, Broken Whiskey Glass

31. Big Star, The Ballad of El Goodo

Comments

Grant Wentzel said…
Great show! Debut albums have so many magic moments. Even if the later albums are better from every technical/musical/sales perspective, sometimes there's nothing as sweet as the first one.

Which begs the question: Can a Debut Show Sequel be as good as the first?
Scott said…
Thanks,Grant!

To answer your question, given that every band has a debut I think there's unlimited opportunities for sequels!

Popular Posts