Color Me Obsessed Filming/Tweetup

It's probably no surprise that I would be a member of a message board that obsesses over everything evolving around Paul Westerberg and the Replacements. I've been a member of "Man Without Ties" for close to a decade, and it was during one of my daily checks of the board that I saw this message earlier this year:


"OK…here's the deal. A movie called COLOR ME OBSESSED was being made by Hansi Oppenheimer about the rabid fans of The Replacements. Things happened, and that film has fallen into my lap… 


Who am I? My name is Gorman Bechard. I've written 5 novels, including THE SECOND GREATEST STORY EVER TOLD in which God's Daughter proclaims her love for the Mats, sending their CDs to the top of the charts, and having them fill Giant's Stadium. Oh, and she even has a discreet affair with one of the band members. Most recently I've directed the award-winning indie feature YOU ARE ALONE. My new feature is another indie, FRIEND (WITH BENEFITS), that's just being submitted to film festivals now. And yes, I am a rabid Replacements fan. 
Pretty much everything you need to know about me is on one of these sites: 
www.GormanBechard.com 
www.YouAreAlone.com 
www.FWBmovie.com 
www.GuyWithTypewriter.com 
Why am I posting here on Craigslist? Well…I want to shoot a LOT more footage for COLOR ME OBSESSED. I want it to be feature length. I want it to tell the story of the greatest rock band of all time solely through the words of their fans and peers. 
I'm looking for people to sit down in front of the camera with me for thirty minutes, an hour, however long it'll take, and tell me their Replacements stories. Especially people who knew the band, saw the band, played on the same bill as the band, drank with the band, lived next door, anything and everything…WITH the band members. You get the picture. (You can love them…be indifferent…even hate them.) 
And what better place to start than Minneapolis? 
I'm planning to come out there in May, and am just now starting to make a list of whom I should speak with. This is my first posting. 
So if you're interested in being a part of this documentary, drop me an email: ColorMeObsessed@gmail.com 
Talk with me on camera. Or suggest someone who should (please have their contact info). Be a part of what could be (will be!) a very cool film about The Replacements. 
Thank you!"

As you may imagine, I was more than intrigued, and after checking out the movie's website, I discovered that I could indeed become involved. Later this week, I'm heading up to Minneapolis to not only tell my story (no spoilers as to what I'm going to talk about), but to assist Gorman and his crew in any possible way.



If anybody reading this (or any friends/relatives) is going to be in Minneapolis on Sunday, June 6, you can be a part of the fun. We're having a filmed "tweetup" at the CC Club (2600 S. Lyndale Ave.) at 10 am, and I'd love to see a few familiar faces. No, you don't have to actually be a twitter user to be a part of this event. Come have a drink or three and completely geek out with other 'mats fans. I've even buying a round!

Why the CC Club? Besides the fact that it's a charming blue-collar neighborhood bar, it was also one of the major hangouts for Minneapolis musicians in the 80's and 90's. It's also across the street from the former Oar Folkjokeopus Records (now Treehouse Records), where Paul slipped future manager Peter Jesperson the demo tape that initiated the band's legendary career, and is just a few blocks from their old record label's home (Twin Tone Records) and the infamous house that's seen on the cover of Let It Be.

The recently updated website has more info on the project, including some interview clips. Filming has already commenced in New York and Boston, and the crew will be headed to Chicago, Phoenix, and Los Angeles in the coming months. If you have any questions about the tweetup or filming, shoot me an email at paulisded@yahoo.com, or contact colormeobsessed@gmail.com.

Comments

Popular Posts